It is commonplace for an adult child to come to our elder care office feeling exasperated due to the perceived stubbornness of his/her parent.  The adult child is attempting to help the parent receive needed care at home or attempting to convince the parent to transition to an assisted living community.  The parent feels he/she is fine on their own, demands the home health aid to leave the home, and/or refuses to go to an assisted living community.  What can the adult child do under these circumstances? Kaiser Health News recently published an article entitled “Parenting Your Aging Parents When They Don’t Want Help”.  The article provided practical tips to help respond to this common frustration of the part of the adult child and will help the child understand the parent’s perspective.

If you, as the adult child, find yourself in such a situation, we can help facilitate the proper care situation, and determine how that care will be paid for.